Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Project Penelope: "Tea Party with PANACHE!!"

http://shopsweetthings.com/living/diy-neon-classic-pottery

Welcome to Project Penelope, a regular column for all you DIY darlings out there. Before we get on with our project du jour, let me just say a few words... My middle name isn't "crafty", it's "FABULOUS!"That being said, my attitude towards crafting projects is much like my attitude towards the running club I recently joined. It's something I dread, but in the end I feel great about what I was able to accomplish. Here is my promise to my readers: I will not be a Negative Nancy when it comes to crafting. I will strive to be a Positive Penelope :) I will absolutely attempt every DIY project I suggest to my readers. Together, we will beautify our houses and apartments one can of spray paint at a time!

On to the task at hand... Tea Party with Panache! I decided to take a cue from my previous post and come up with a clever, inexpensive way to incorporate those ever-so-trendy neon colors into my own home. When developing this project I kept two things in mind. First, when it comes to neon, less is more. Second, my favorite application of these rad colors is on classic or traditional pieces. The flea market and Goodwill are always fantastic places to get your Project Penelope juices flowing. While at my local Goodwill I spotted six charming tea cups and saucers and immediately new what had to be done. A much needed dash of flamboyance created by an unexpected splash of neon would take these tea cups from grandma to GLAM! The best part, this project is SOOOO easy! I have seen it done before on Shop Sweet Things. Here's the how too:

1.) Troll your local flea market or Goodwill for a set or mix of vintage tea cups. The fancier the better!

At the Goodwill check-out counter about to purchase my darling little blue and white tea cups and saucers.


2.) You'll need a few supplies. Paint brushes and gloss enamel paint specifically for use on glass and ceramics. You can find this paint at your local craft store. Choose funky colors like "electric blue" or radical pink".  Keep them all the same, or mix it up! The more blinding the hue the better!!



3.) Paint just the handles of each tea-cup. Don't worry about perfection, it should look hand done! If using a ceramic paint, follow the directions carefully. Mine instructed me to let the paint dry for 48 hours and then bake in 325 degree oven for 30 mins. This step creates a strong bond making the paint dishwasher safe! (Although if your tea-cups are especially delicate I would not recommend running them through the wash.)

Here is the final result! Love the pop of color it gives my kitchen shelves. I also love the orange and blue color combination...GO GATORS!!

A coordinating set like this would create a unique hostess or bridal shower gift!!


4.) Finally, put your new china to good use! Host a weekend brunch that channels the over the top opulence of a French tea party. Your radicalized tea cups will be the star of the table! Pair with cake stands piled high with tea sandwiches, pastel macarons, and mini cupcakes. A center piece of peonies is unfailingly chic. Mix up the mimosas and your Tea Party with Panache is set!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment